Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sew much for being inspired :(

Today I was inspired to get out the old sewing machine.  That's right, I can sew.  I used to be ok back in my late teens, I'd make dresses & pants and actually wore them in public!  My sewing machine was given to me, second hand, when I was 18... and when we moved house 5 years ago it was dropped on the ground by a "helpful" family friend, and I've been dreading opening it up... until today.

Looking around my home, which is not finished off yet. I see walls that need painting, floors that need skirting, a laundry that needs flooring... but what could I do that is quick & cheap?  Yes!  I'll sew curtains.  I'm only wanting some soft gentle curtains to blow gently in the breeze... so out comes the sewing machine.  I turn it on. All seems well.  It runs!  Success!  I walk away to find some material to "brush up my skills", I found some funky Garfield & Odie fabric, yes, I'll make some cushions for the boys play area.  Walking back towards the sewing machine and what do I see?  Smoke flooding out from the motor :(  Yes smoke.  I have fried my sewing machine.  Determined NOT to give up, I talk Big M into taking us all down to the sewing shop, where my fear is confirmed, the machine is wayyyy beyond repair (or rather the budget to repair is wayyyy beyond our means).  So I'm now embarking on the hunt for a new sewing machine.  Still yearning to make curtains!

On a positive note, the second GP I took Little D to the other day diagnosed her with an ear infection & has prescribed anti-biotics.  So much happier now.  Don't think I'll ever go back to the first GP!

So yes, today inspired to make a home... discouraged along the way... inspired to get back on the horse as soon as a new machine is found (within budget!).

No comments:

Post a Comment