Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Success for days 2 & 3!

Wow, ok, dinner last night (Day 2) went down a treat, so tonight it's leftovers & a little extra... I can't believe how much they ate last night, so I'm adding some bread and some oven bake chips to stretch the meal further tonight... so pleased with it that I simply must give you the recipe.  Though technically it's not my recipe, I got it from my sister, who got it from her mother-in-law (thanks Nanna George!).

Day 2 (&3)- Corned Silverside with Pasta & Veggies


I bought my corned beef from Woolworths, and I got the salt reduced lean one (keeping the heart healthy lol), I got one just under 1kg, but I think next time I'll go bigger, somewhere around 1.3kg so I'd have a decent amount for two meals.  As for the chips I'll be using tonight to fill the tummies, I buy mine from the Spud Shed, they're only $0.99 per bag!  Awesome!  And they're from Manjimup, so buying local, yeah!

1 corned silverside (0.9kg) - $9.80
250g long pasta (I just used barilla spag no 5) - $1.15
1/2 400g tin diced or crushed tomatoes - $0.49
2 handfuls grated cheese (about 1.5 cups?) - already in fridge, estimate $1.50
5 frozen corn cobbettes - $1.20
1 handful frozen beans - already in freezer, estimate $0.75
1 cup vinegar - already in pantry, estimate $0.90
1 brown onion (finely diced) - $0.80
Negligible items:
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 Tbs rice bran oil
1 clove
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs brown sugar
Total Cost:  $16.59

1.  Read recipe on corned silverside (if you don't have it, I'll add it down the bottom).  Cook silverside.
2.  When your silverside has 30mins left to cook, start your pasta dish.  Boil water in pot on hot plates & cook pasta as per directions.  Drain pasta, rinse under cold water & splash with a small amount of oil (to prevent it sticking into a mass of pasta while you cook your sauce) and leave sitting in the colander.
3.  In same pot (that the pasta was in), heat some oil, add garlic & onion, over medium heat, and soften.  While this is happening, get your water on to cook your vegies (or steamer, whatever you prefer).
4.  Add half tin of tomatoes to onion & garlic mix, stir til hot and add pasta back into the pot.  Stir it all through.  Add your cheese to the pasta dish, stir until it's all melted through, then remove from heat.
5.  Remove silverside from water, and place on chopping board.  Add vegies as needed to pot/steamer & cook while carving your meat.
6.  Serve a few slices of silverside, a generous dollop of pasta and your vegies with some freshly cracked black pepper, and yummo!  It will be gone in minutes!

The kids loved this, Big M loved it, I loved it.  So tonight I will be heating up the leftovers, and serve it with some bread, chips & broccoli... looking forward to it.  Tomorrow night's recipe is ... I can't decide yet actually, either a smoked chicken caesar salad, or fried rice... will let you know.

The recipe for how to cook the silverside:
1 corned beef silverside
1 cup vinegar
1 Tbs brown sugar
2 bay leaves
1 clove
Place all ingredients in a saucepan large enough to fit the meat when it's completely submerged.  Top up with water until meat is covered (it may float a little that is fine).  Bring to a slow boil (not rapid like you could for pasta), and cook 60mins per kg. Done!

I'm rather enjoying this $60 challenge, I'm feeling a bit more like a supermum :)  Might have to keep it going!

3 comments:

  1. You are a flipping supermum Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful you have already spend $33.50 in your first 3 meals!!Can you do it!!?? Ooooo... I feel the tension rising... looking forward to what your gonna come up with!!! And yes i agree you are supermum!! Well done!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Jess, I only just saw this message, sorry for late reply... I've been using a lot from my pantry & freezer, I will be giving the grand total on the last post :) Suspense!!

    ReplyDelete