Monday, February 14, 2011

Seven down, three to go!

Here is the meal plan from Days 5, 6 & 7... I've been a little busy over the weekend, a bit full on, but that's what most of our weekends are like anyway.  I can't remember the last time we chilled out for the whole two days... hmm.. sounds like a holiday is needed!

So, for those interested, Day 5 I made my Dad's yummy Salmon Patties.  If you don't like salmon, just use tuna instead (I'm not a huge fan of the bones in the salmon tins, but I remove the big ones, and mash up the little ones so you don't notice them - they are perfectly safe to eat, apparently lol).  I served it all up with oven chips & corn cobbettes and cherry tomatoes.  Once it was on the plate I realised I really needed to add something green, but honestly I was too tired to worry :)  The kids were happy with what they received, in fact Mr R ate 4 patties!

Here is the Secret Recipe :)

Day 5 - Salmon Patties
400g canned pink salmon - $4.80
400g potatoes - $1.50
1 red onion, finely diced - $0.90
1 egg - $0.50
5 frozen corn cobbettes - $1.20
1/2 bag frozen chips - $0.50
Total cost: $9.40
Negligible items:
Rice bran oil
Salt & pepper
Breadcrumbs (I buy a big bag of homebrand breadcrumbs once a year)
Plain flour (for coating patties)

1.  Peel, chop & boil potatoes in salted water.  Drain & mash when cooked (soft when a knife poked into it).  Set aside to cool in large mixing bowl.
2. While cooling, dice onion and place in bowl with potatoes.  Drain salmon tins (no need to reserve liquid), remove large bones & grind up fine bones (use fingers or a fork), add to bowl with onion & potatoes.
3. Add in beaten egg, a pinch of salt and shake or two of white pepper.  Add in breadcrumbs, this is a little difficult to measure, as it depends on how liquidy your mix is, I usually use about 2 Tbs.  Mix together well and form into patties.  Place onto large tray, or onto a plate, and refrigerate until ready to cook (this will help patties firm up before cooking, and also let the flavours develop).
4. Begin cooking oven chips & any other veggies you may want (I did my corn now).
5. Coat the bottom of a fry pan in oil, about 2mm deep.  Place a couple of tablespoons of plain flour onto a saucer, and gently press patties on, rolling around, flipping over, until coated, gently shake off excess flour, and place into pan. 

6. Cook, gently flipping over each patty, until both sides are golden.  Drain on paper towel.  Add more oil to pan if needed.

7.  Serve!  My kids love it with Heinz Tomato Ketchup, but for the adults we serve it with a tomato chutney, Rosella make a delicious one, it's called Geoff Janz's Tomato Chutney... yummo!

I've uploaded a couple of pics to show you how they look as you're making them... ooh technological upgrades to the blog today lol. They're not the best quality (just from my phone), and I can't rotate two of them either :P

Dinner on Day 6 was actually a free bbq, a wonderful friend of ours was celebrating her 25th birthday, so she put on a twilight bbq in the park (twilight as in the time of day, nothing to do with the books or films).  So I didn't have to make dinner that night.  She also had red velvet cake made as her birthday cake, oh wow, so yum!  I'd love to try baking one of those sometime, if anyone has a good recipe for that please do share!

Dinner on Day 7... that was a Tuna Mornay.  Big M has gone to Sydney for work, so it was just the kids & myself for dinner, so there's plenty leftover for Day 8 (which is today)... making for a very lonely Valentines Day, but a very free dinner!  I'll be posting the recipe for that in my next blog... trust me it's good!

Today is Valentines Day.  Honestly hubby & I don't really celebrate it.  And seeing as he's away for work it was going to be even less ordinary :(  BUT.... it just so happens that two friends of mine also have their husbands away for work this week (funny that isn't it?), so we've decided to have a Valentines girls night at my place tonight.  Serving spring rolls, soy crisps (the ones I mentioned in this blog http://sliceofinspiration.blogspot.com/2010/12/cinnamon-ginger.html ), m&m's, crackers & dips plus sparkling water, pineapple juice & a little softdrink... as well as the most important part - the entertainment... boardgames!  I love boardgames... yes I'm a dork, a nerd, I don't care, I love 'em!

I hope your 2011 Valentines Day will be enjoyed just as much as mine, with or without a Valentine!

1 comment: