Friday, February 11, 2011

A little extra help is always received! Day 4 of the challenge

So we've been enjoying our meals this week, even with the restrictions I placed on our budget.  And for last night's dinner, I decided to make the fried rice as I had a few veggies which needed to get used up... but then my mother in law asked if she & hubby could come for dinner (as it works well with his bus timetable some days)... and offered to give $20 towards dinner... so I gladly accepted the offer & not only did we have fried rice, but also a red chicken curry, steamed rice and spring rolls!  Yummo!  I didn't end up spending more than the $20 on the extra ingredients either, so I'm still going to claim that we're sticking to our budget, even if we could indulge for that night :)

Saying that, I'm just going to share the fried rice recipe.  I love this rice, so do the kids.  It's not a very authentic recipe, but hey, I'm not claiming to be authentic in any of my cooking.... so here it is!

Day 4 - Fried Rice

200g garlic prawns (I buy them from the deli section at Woolies) - $3.50
200g diced bacon (also from Woolies) - $1.40
2 eggs, beaten - $1.00
2 cups cooked rice (preferably cold too {not frozen}- use the leftovers from the meal on Day 1) - $ 0.00
1 brown onion (sliced thinly) - $0.80
1 cup fresh veggies (I used broccoli) - $0.80
1 cup frozen mix vegies (I love the peas, corn & capsicum mix) - $0.80
Total: $8.30
Negligible items:
2 Tbs rice bran oil
1 Tbs sesame oil (don't worry if you don't have it)
1 Tbs oyster sauce
2 Tbs light soy sauce (or to taste)
White pepper (to taste)

1.  Heat oil in wok.  Add beaten eggs to hot wok, wait until almost cooked, flip over, cook til just starting to brown.  Remove from wok & chop up.
2.  Add prawns to wok, turn frequently, remove when just cooked (just turning orange/pink).
3.  Add diced bacon to wok, keep it moving until cooked to your liking (they'll stick to the wok if you're not careful!). Remove from wok.
4.  Add more oil to wok if needed, add onion & fresh veggies.  Toss for a few minutes til they begin to soften.  Add frozen veggies. Toss til cooked.  Add rice, sesame oil, sauces and pepper.  Toss through til rice is coloured by sauce.  Add back eggs, prawns & bacon.  Stir through until all hot.  Serve!

Easy easy, and very yummy!  If you do have some spring rolls in the freezer, you can cook them while making the rice, they just add a little something more exciting for the kids :)

So now you have my favourite Fried Rice recipe... let me know if you try it, and if you like it!  Day 5, tonight, will be Salmon patties, oven chips & corn cobbettes... looking forward to that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment