Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Does absence make the heart grow fonder?

Hmm... good question?  Did you miss me while I've been away?  I haven't really been away anywhere in particular, just away from cyberspace really.  While undertaking my challenge to become a far more "better woman" by following the great Proverbs scripture about the woman of great worth, I found I was spending less and less time here... sitting in front of the computer... and rightly so.  It felt so good.  I've been discovering how absent I was in my own home.  My older two children can be quite independent at times, so I was allowing myself to escape online.  Sadly I wasn't being very present for them.  I don't think they realised it, so I'm pretty lucky I did before I became too addicted here :)  Don't get me wrong, I'll still be blogging, and facebooking... but not as much as previous.  I'm loving being more present with the family.

Which has also brought me to a decision.  I'm no longer continuing with my "challenge".  Whilst it's been inspiring, and also quite insightful, it's just not practical in my household.  All I can ask is for God's grace to fill me, for his Spirit to guide me, so I can become a woman of great worth to my family and home.  Toiling all day and night was exhausting, and actually wore me out more than blessed the family!  So, yes, for now it is over :(  But onto happier thoughts...

Today is the first day of December, and Christmas has hit our home!  Mr F and I are constructing the Christmas tree, lights have been strung (well one small string of star shaped felt & led fairy lights)... and I'm hoping to get all the decorations up tonight so I can take some pics of the kids with the tree before they get to it and start playing with all the decorations.  Those bells are just too tempting!

We're very much so looking forward to Christmas.  This year we're having dinner at my husband's side, and for the first time in a long time, ALL of us will be there.  All of my mother in law's children with their children, as well as her own mother, so the table will be full, the house will be full, and while I'm sure it will be exhausting, the kids are going to have an absolute ball with their cousins!

On a slightly less exciting note, now that my sister has moved interstate (with her hubby & kids) my side of the family has no plans for Christmas.  My parents will do their own thing, and we'll just see them some time over the Christmas weekend... I like the informality, but it's sad that the kids can't see their cousins, Aunty, Uncle and grandparents (on this side) on the big day. I must admit, my ideal Christmas day is a big lunch with both sides of the family, then heading to the beach at night with our little family of 5 just to run off the last of our energy before a loooong sleep in on Boxing day!  Maybe next year?

I've very much become a home body the past few months.  Getting very domesticated.  I've been sewing lots, and baking lots... I've even made my daughter a quilt!  That's a surprise, but a very welcome one.  I love it.  I love making & baking and then giving it away.  Gifts from the heart and the home.  When have you been inspired to take time and effort to really give of yourself when giving a gift?  I love the blessing it brings to someone when you drop a box of cookies off, or a tray of lasagne... try it, you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment